Line dating n ireland
One of ten built by the council during World War II, it is one of only two now remaining, the other at the new roundabout on the Gilford Road, and a rare example of public air raid shelters in Northern Ireland.
In 19, the town centre was devastated by two large car bombs planted by republicans.
The park is now bounded on either side by Obins Street and Castle Street, both of which are references to "Obin's Castle".
In 1631, Obins was granted a licence for a "fair and market", which led to the building of the first bridge across the River Bann shortly thereafter.
Portadown sits in a relatively flat part of Ireland, near the southern shore of Lough Neagh.
There are two small wetland areas on the outskirts of the town; one at Selshion in the west and another at Annagh in the south.
The Ballybay River flows into the town from the west before joining the River Bann.
The Irish Confederate troops abandoned Obins Castle during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland, and Hamlet Obins (who had survived its capture) repossessed it in 1652. This family's legacy to the town includes street names such as Montagu Street, Millicent Crescent and Mandeville Street, as well as buildings such as the Fergus Hall (formerly the Duke's School and Church Street PS), and the Carlton Home (the Duke's former townhouse, latterly a maternity hospital/nurses accommodation and now private apartments).
The Blacker family, descended from Danes who entered Ireland in the 9th century, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road.